Just a generation ago, women could only get traditional open surgery for gynecologic conditions like cervical and ovarian cancer. Since open surgery required surgeons to make large incisions, gynecologic surgery had many risks, including increased pain, longer hospitalization, increased surgical risk, and more extended postoperative recovery periods.
However, most of these fears are now a thing of the past. Thanks to technological advances, women can now opt for da Vinci surgical procedures. These minimally invasive procedures only require small incisions and are performed using a surgeon-controlled robotic surgical system. Precise and powerful, da Vinci systems offer patients many benefits, including faster recovery time, less scarring, and less blood loss.
Read on to learn more about why the da Vinci system is a good choice for gynecologic surgeries.
Common Reasons for Gynecologic Surgery
Gynecologic surgeries are performed on a woman’s reproductive system. They are used to alleviate or address various conditions, including:
- Pelvic floor disorders
- Ovarian cysts
- Gynecological cancers such as ovarian, cervical, and uterine cancer
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Pelvic pain
- Benign tumors or fibroids
- Other complex gynecologic conditions
Benefits of the da Vinci Surgical System
There are many benefits to the da Vinci Surgical System:
- Faster recovery time: Unlike traditional open surgeries, the da Vinci system surgeries are minimally invasive, leading to shorter recovery times. Patients who have gone through a da Vinci surgical procedure have gone back to work or school within days. In comparison, patients receiving open surgeries usually require around a week of bed rest.
- Less scarring: da Vinci surgeries only require a few small incisions, giving you one less thing to worry about after the procedure.
- Better precision: The doctor uses a computer screen to see more clearly into your body. Instead of using their own arms and hands, they will use small robotic arms and Endowrist instruments to create small incisions in your abdomen. Because these instruments come with seven degrees of motion, they are much more flexible than human wrists. Using this precision technology means the incisions made by a da Vinci system are much more precise than you’d normally have with traditional open surgery.
- Less blood loss: Because the incisions for da Vinci procedures are much smaller, less blood is lost during the procedures.
What To Expect From the da Vinci Surgical System
Although a da Vinci surgery is less risky than an open surgery, you still need to plan and prepare before the surgery. Before you head to the operating room:
- Follow all surgery care team instructions — If you haven’t received a list of instructions, ask your surgery care team for one.
- Prepare for post-surgery limitations — You need to know what you can or cannot do after surgery. Can you drive? Can you walk? Make proper arrangements for transportation, childcare, at-home care, and other tasks before you leave.
- Get your documents ready — Bring your insurance cards, IDs, and a form of payment for charges that aren’t covered by your insurance.
Nevada Surgery and Cancer Care offers women state-of-the-art procedures for their gynecological needs. If you want to experience the da Vinci difference, schedule a consultation with one of our doctors today.