Given that colon cancer takes the lives of 50,000 Americans each year, taking responsibility for this aspect of your health is vital. In addition to traditional colon cancer screening, it is now possible to test for colon cancer without colonoscopy using at-home colon cancer detection kits. The big question, however, is whether they are a suitable investment.
Given that this option is still a relatively new development, education is crucial as you look to make a calculated decision on which route is right for you. Here’s all you need to know.
What Are At-Home Colon Cancer Detection Kits?
First and foremost, you must learn how to check for colon cancer at home. Essentially, the home screening kit is designed to analyze a patient’s stool samples to check for changes that could be linked to the growth of polyps or other signs of cancer.
The stool is simply collected and sealed in the pot provided before being sent off for testing at the lab through a process known as Cologuard. The kits are easily used and can be ordered and collected from a doctor’s office.
The pros and cons of at-home colon cancer detection kits
As with anything related to health, it’s imperative to consider the pros and cons before deciding whether to pursue the option. Home colon cancer screening has several aspects to consider. Here are some of the key points to acknowledge:
- Non-invasive and voids the need to have a doctor use a colonoscopy
- Removes any sense of embarrassment you may have
- No need to change your diet in preparation ahead of the test
- The test is FDA-approved
- Can detect tumors that become cancerous at a later date
- Results are clear, categorized as either normal or abnormal
- A very affordable way to handle the situation
- Can only be used by people with an average risk for colorectal cancer
- The waiting times can be stressful
- Potential for user error and inaccurate results
- Lose the emotional support and medical guidance that could’ve been offered by the doctor
- Abnormal results will end in referral for a colonoscopy anyway
- Needs to be completed annually to stay on top of the situation
- Doesn’t check the entire colon
The verdict on colon detection kits
The home colon cancer screening test kit is certainly a useful tool, especially for identifying the possible signs of colon cancer in those individuals that fall into the mid-to-high risk categories. As an annual precautionary measure, it offers some value to the patient.
However, it’s important to recognize its limitations. Given the seriousness of this health issue, it’s always advised to take the very best option available. A professional colonoscopy remains the most thorough solution by far while it also ensures that you gain the help of an experienced medical expert. Nevada Surgery & Cancer Care provides the right services to check for signs of colon cancer and treat them should a problem be identified.
Schedule an Appointment with NVSCC
Ultimately, then, when using the home colon cancer screening kit, it is an ideal way to take extra care over the situation but should not be seen as a direct replacement for colonoscopy procedures.
Our very own Dr. Lynn Kowalski is an expert and provides you with quality and colon and rectal surgery. Schedule a consultation with her today!