Don’t Ignore These Subtle Signs of Ovarian and Cervical Cancer

Women may brush off many subtle signs of bleeding or cramping because they are associated with our menstrual cycle. Oftentimes those subtle symptoms may be trying to tell us something more serious. Typical signs of ovarian and cervical cancer include bleeding and cramping, so if you are experiencing these symptoms it is important to say something to your gynecologist or oncologist. 

Ovarian Cancer

Ovarian cancer often goes undetected because of its lack of symptoms and is often found when cancer has spread to the pelvis and stomach. It is also more difficult to treat in its later stages. A tumor will develop in the area of egg production in the reproductive system. Surgery and chemotherapy are possible treatment options. 

Cervical Cancer

Cervical cancer also has little to no warning signs. It affects the cells in your cervix or lowest part of your uterus. Cervical cancer is also associated with HPV or human papillomavirus. HPV is a possible cause of cervical cancer. Chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery are all possible treatments. 

Don’t Ignore These Symptoms

The early stages of ovarian and cervical cancer have little to no warning signs. Visiting your doctor for your yearly checkup can help you catch ovarian and cervical cancer in its early stages. 

Abnormal Bleeding

If you are experiencing consistent irregular periods that are heavy, you may want to see your doctor. This can be a sign of endometrial or cervical cancer. Also, if you are bleeding in between your periods or after intercourse, you should see your doctor.


If you are post-menopausal and still have bleeding, this may be a warning sign of cancer. Almost 90 percent of postmenopausal bleeding is harmless, but the other 10 percent may be a more serious case. 

Pelvic Pain

Are you experiencing pain in your lower pelvic area or up near your hip bones/ovarian area? This could be a sign of cancer. Signs like gas, bloating and cramping can also be signs of ovarian cancer. 

Weight Loss or Gain

If you unexpectedly gained weight, this could mean you are experiencing growth in a tumor. Large tumors or fibroids are undiagnosed until they are large. If you notice sudden weight gain, it may be a tumor and you should contact your doctor right away. 

Cancer affects your metabolism and may cause you to lose your appetite and your weight quickly. If you have lost 10 or more pounds, contact your doctor. 

NVSCC Can Help

Nevada Surgery and Cancer Care offers gynecologic oncology with doctors who have a thorough understanding of early signs of gynecological cancers. Schedule a consultation with them to ease your concerns for ovarian and cervical cancer.